We offer a number of activities for guests to enjoy at Secrets Resorts & Spas with one of our most exciting activities being windsurfing. Windsurfing is sport that combines both surfing and sailing. If you ask us, we think it’s genius! It consists of a board about two to four meters long that is powered by the wind on a sail.
Below are a few tips on the basics of windsurfing, but don’t worry, you won’t need to remember all of these as we have plenty of trained water sport instructors who will be happy to help you. If you’re visiting us soon, you’ll want to be sure to try this activity!
1. Push the board out into deep water until the fin is clear of the bottom.
2. Get a sense of the wind direction, and maneuver the board so that the sail is downwind of the board.
3. Swim or walk to the upwind side and clamber onto the board – elegance is not required! Stay on your knees and grab ahold of the uphaul, without pulling up the sail yet.
4. Raise to your feet at a slow pace. Using a beginners board should mean you are pretty stable – rock back and forth on your feet to get a feel for it.
5. Bend your knees slightly and pull the sail up from the water with the uphaul, hand over hand like hauling in a rope. Try to keep your back and body somewhat upright. If you feel your lower back starting to ache, you are bending over too much.
6. Take hold of the mast with both hands and let it swing. This is called the “safety” or “control” position: total control with next to no power.
7. Practice steering in the “safety” position.
8. Relax! If you need to stop, return to the safety position, or drop the boom if it is safe to do so.