Secrets St. James Montego Bay is proud to be featured on SustainableTrips.org! We believe you don’t have to sacrifice commitment to the environment to provide an incredible vacation experience. Secrets St. James is surrounded by so much Jamaican natural beauty that is worth protecting for future generations. We strive to minimize our impact on the environment through good engineering practices and operating procedures. We also participate in local environmental activities such as beautification projects, recycling, beach clean-ups and habitat protection. Here are a few other sustainability initiatives we’re proud of at Secrets St. James.
- A guest room energy conservation management system that utilizes a motion detector system to reduce air conditioning and lighting energy usage when guest rooms are unoccupied.
- Through our recycling program, we have reduced the amount of plastic, cardboard boxes, and used toner inks that are sent to our landfills.
- In September 2013, we participated in and sponsored an international beach clean up.
- Composting projects are carried out by our landscaping department.
- In our grey water treatment system, water is recycled from guest’s showers and utilized for irrigation on the property.
- Housekeeping’s guest room conservation card provides guests with the option to reduce the amount of linens used during their stay, reducing the water and chemicals used for laundry services.
- Fruit and vegetable peelings from our kitchens are donated to local pig farmers.
- The hotel continues to embark on community sustainability projects to aid in the development of our society through charitable donations – cash or kind and time to schools, churches and other organizations in need.
- In June 2013, the Catherine Hall Basic School beautification project included the creation of a vegetable garden and picnic tables, enhancement of the school grounds, and donations to children by our employees and guests.
- We made donations to the Garland Children’s Home school in May 2013.
- The Labour Day Project 2012 was a volunteer project in partnership with our local government to beautify the local Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay.
Click here to see our whole feature on SustainabilityTrips.org and book your stay with Secrets St. James today!
Way to go, SSJ!!!!! Environmentally friendly….as well as “guest friendly”…the whole package! Thank you for your commitment!