Recently, Secrets® Aura Cozumel was featured in an article on AFAR for its efforts to reduce the use of single-use plastics at the resort. Secrets Aura is proud to join many other tropical properties throughout Mexico who are dedicated to social and environmental responsibility. Read on to learn more about Secrets Aura’s commitment to the environment.
At Secrets® Resorts & Spas, we consider ourselves incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by the incredible natural beauty of the tropical landscapes that we get to call home. We also think that these delicate environments need and deserve to be cherished and protected. At Secrets, we are committed to a variety of environmentally-friendly practices to support and promote sustainable tourism efforts and social responsibility.
We’re proud to announce that yet another one of our resorts has recently become Rainforest Alliance Certified!
Read on to find out more about this amazing honor!
At Secrets Resorts & Spas, we consider ourselves incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by the incredible natural beauty of the tropical landscapes that we get to call home. We also think that these delicate environments need and deserve to be cherished and protected. At Secrets, we are committed to a variety of environmentally-friendly practices to support and promote sustainable tourism efforts and social responsibility and are proud to share that a number of our resorts have even been Rainforest Alliance Verified™!
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, Secrets St. James Montego Bay, Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta and Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa have all been Rainforest Alliance Verified™, demonstrating a commitment to reducing environmental impact and meeting sustainable tourism requirements.
The Rainforest Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and improve livelihoods by promoting and evaluating the implementation of sustainability standards. We couldn’t be more proud that our award-winning hotel services are matched by a dedication to preserving the land and sea environments around us so future generations may enjoy them for years to come. When you stay at our Rainforest Alliance Verified™ Secrets Resorts & Spas, you can rest assured that you will not only enjoy the vacation of a lifetime, but also know that you have made an environmentally conscious decision.
Secrets St. James Montego Bay is proud to be featured on SustainableTrips.org! We believe you don’t have to sacrifice commitment to the environment to provide an incredible vacation experience. Secrets St. James is surrounded by so much Jamaican natural beauty that is worth protecting for future generations. We strive to minimize our impact on the environment through good engineering practices and operating procedures. We also participate in local environmental activities such as beautification projects, recycling, beach clean-ups and habitat protection. Here are a few other sustainability initiatives we’re proud of at Secrets St. James.
- A guest room energy conservation management system that utilizes a motion detector system to reduce air conditioning and lighting energy usage when guest rooms are unoccupied.
- Through our recycling program, we have reduced the amount of plastic, cardboard boxes, and used toner inks that are sent to our landfills.
- In September 2013, we participated in and sponsored an international beach clean up.
- Composting projects are carried out by our landscaping department.
- In our grey water treatment system, water is recycled from guest’s showers and utilized for irrigation on the property.
- Housekeeping’s guest room conservation card provides guests with the option to reduce the amount of linens used during their stay, reducing the water and chemicals used for laundry services.
- Fruit and vegetable peelings from our kitchens are donated to local pig farmers.
- The hotel continues to embark on community sustainability projects to aid in the development of our society through charitable donations – cash or kind and time to schools, churches and other organizations in need.
- In June 2013, the Catherine Hall Basic School beautification project included the creation of a vegetable garden and picnic tables, enhancement of the school grounds, and donations to children by our employees and guests.
- We made donations to the Garland Children’s Home school in May 2013.
- The Labour Day Project 2012 was a volunteer project in partnership with our local government to beautify the local Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay.