At Secrets® Resorts & Spas, we consider ourselves incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by the incredible natural beauty of the tropical landscapes that we get to call home. We also think that these delicate environments need and deserve to be cherished and protected. At Secrets, we are committed to a variety of environmentally-friendly practices to support and promote sustainable tourism efforts and social responsibility.
We’re proud to announce that yet another one of our resorts has recently become Rainforest Alliance Certified!
Read on to find out more about this amazing honor!
Secrets St. James Montego Bay is proud to be featured on SustainableTrips.org! We believe you don’t have to sacrifice commitment to the environment to provide an incredible vacation experience. Secrets St. James is surrounded by so much Jamaican natural beauty that is worth protecting for future generations. We strive to minimize our impact on the environment through good engineering practices and operating procedures. We also participate in local environmental activities such as beautification projects, recycling, beach clean-ups and habitat protection. Here are a few other sustainability initiatives we’re proud of at Secrets St. James.
- A guest room energy conservation management system that utilizes a motion detector system to reduce air conditioning and lighting energy usage when guest rooms are unoccupied.
- Through our recycling program, we have reduced the amount of plastic, cardboard boxes, and used toner inks that are sent to our landfills.
- In September 2013, we participated in and sponsored an international beach clean up.
- Composting projects are carried out by our landscaping department.
- In our grey water treatment system, water is recycled from guest’s showers and utilized for irrigation on the property.
- Housekeeping’s guest room conservation card provides guests with the option to reduce the amount of linens used during their stay, reducing the water and chemicals used for laundry services.
- Fruit and vegetable peelings from our kitchens are donated to local pig farmers.
- The hotel continues to embark on community sustainability projects to aid in the development of our society through charitable donations – cash or kind and time to schools, churches and other organizations in need.
- In June 2013, the Catherine Hall Basic School beautification project included the creation of a vegetable garden and picnic tables, enhancement of the school grounds, and donations to children by our employees and guests.
- We made donations to the Garland Children’s Home school in May 2013.
- The Labour Day Project 2012 was a volunteer project in partnership with our local government to beautify the local Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay.
Ariel view of Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Click here to see our whole feature on SustainabilityTrips.org and book your stay with Secrets St. James today!
Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa takes pride in its environmental and social responsibilities and initiatives that go above and beyond the everyday “going green” practices. Recently, Secrets Huatulco was recognized for its “United Efforts with the Community” in the Rainforest Alliance’s Exemplary Practices for Sustainable Tourism publication.
The publication highlights two particular resort efforts in which Secrets Huatulco worked closely with the surrounding community and other organizations to truly make a difference.
Secrets Huatulco collaborated with organizations from the community of Santa Cruz Huatulco to tackle the problem of electronic waste with “Reciclon.” This recycling event allowed families and small businesses to safely dispose of their electronic equipment. The resort collected and recycled a total of 365 electronic items, weighing over nine tons!
In addition, Secrets Huatulco held a drive to collect footwear for local residents who were lacking this necessity. The resort received donations from guests and other community members. Staff of Secrets Huatulco later created pop-up “shops” where the shoes were delivered to those in need.
Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa is Rainforest Alliance Verified™ resort located in Huatulco, Mexico, a destination which has received the EarthCheck Certified Gold Certificate for its sustainable environmental practices.
We are proud to announce that Secrets Marquis Los Cabos is officially a Rainforest Alliance Verified™ resort!
This is an exciting achievement for Secrets Marquis and it demonstrates recognition of the efforts being taken to protect the planet and the local community. As always, Secrets Resorts & Spas is pleased to offer Unlimited-Luxury® getaways while still maintaining a focus on measurable environmental sustainability efforts. The requirements for verification are aligned with the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria.
Small steps really do help the overall effort by eliminating waste and being committed to the local surroundings. Secrets Marquis will continue to encourage their guests to be mindful of the environment by providing reminders of the programs throughout the resort. Various recycling bins can be found, as well as friendly reminders in guest rooms to minimize the number of towels and linens being used to conserve water.
Congratulations Secrets Marquis Los Cabos!