The year of the Maya is here! The Maya was a very advanced culture, noted for its art and architecture, mathematical and astronomical systems and cuisine. They carved elaborate sculptures and reliefs, built sophisticated cities and temples, developed a highly accurate calendar, gazed at the stars in the observatories they constructed and utilized chocolate and corn in their food. We are celebrating the Mayan culture at the Secrets Resorts & Spas in the Riviera Maya.
Since December 21, 2012 marks a significant day on the Mayan Calendar– a day in which Mayans believe the world will be reborn- Secrets Silversands Rivera Cancun, Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun and Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun are celebrating with a month of Mayan events beginning Thanksgiving, November 22, 2012 and ending Friday, December 21, 2012.
The participating resorts will host exciting events and activities for guests to learn more about the culture while having fun. Our Secrets Entertainment Teams will lead guests in the epic celebration! Each resort has different plans and will include the following:
- Mayan Calendar Explanation – Learn the significant of Dec. 21st
- Sand Pyramid Competitions – Build replicas of the Chichen Itza
- Mayan Cooking Lessons – Learn basic cooking techniques
- Mayan Body Painting Session – Understand what the body paining symbolizes
- Stargazing Events – Observe the night sky with an expert
- Mayan Warriors Show – Be entertained with a traditional Mayan show
- Mayan Craft Making – Create something memorable to take home
- Traditional Mayan Ball Game – Get into the action with this modified ancient game
- December 21st – Special Gala Dinner Night with Live Mayan Show