Happy Monday to all of our guests and fans from Secrets® Resorts & Spas!
We’re excited to share that Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa was a 2017 recipient of the Sustainable Tourism Leader Award!
Keep reading to find out more about this major accomplishment!
At Secrets Resorts & Spas, we consider ourselves incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by the incredible natural beauty of the tropical landscapes that we get to call home. We also think that these delicate environments need and deserve to be cherished and protected. At Secrets, we are committed to a variety of environmentally-friendly practices to support and promote sustainable tourism efforts and social responsibility and are proud to share that a number of our resorts have even been Rainforest Alliance Verified™!
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, Secrets St. James Montego Bay, Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta and Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa have all been Rainforest Alliance Verified™, demonstrating a commitment to reducing environmental impact and meeting sustainable tourism requirements.
Staff and guests at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa have the honor of watching little sea turtles like this one make their way to the sea each year!
The Rainforest Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and improve livelihoods by promoting and evaluating the implementation of sustainability standards. We couldn’t be more proud that our award-winning hotel services are matched by a dedication to preserving the land and sea environments around us so future generations may enjoy them for years to come. When you stay at our Rainforest Alliance Verified™ Secrets Resorts & Spas, you can rest assured that you will not only enjoy the vacation of a lifetime, but also know that you have made an environmentally conscious decision.
At Secrets Marquis Los Cabos, we are committed to a variety of environmentally-friendly practices to support and promote sustainable tourism efforts and social responsibility. We are lucky to be located in a place of incredible natural beauty and are proud to do our part to preserve both the land and sea environments around us for future generations and the creatures that call Los Cabos home. Below are some of the ways we work to promote sustainable practices at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos.
- Rainforest Alliance Verified™
Secrets Marquis Los Cabos earned this designation for its commitment to reducing its environmental impact within the resort and the surrounding community. This mark is awarded to tourism businesses that adopt best management practices and meet specific criteria developed and/or endorsed by the Rainforest Alliance.
- Water Desalting Plant
The Water Desalting Plant at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos is a vital initiative at the resort. This plant pumps in ocean water and sends it through a process to remove the salt from the water. Upon completion of this process, the clean, filtered water is used as the main water supply for the resort. In turn, Secrets Marquis is able to refrain from using the local water supply and preserve water.
- Ecological Soap
This environmentally friendly practice allows the resort to reduce its use of chemicals by providing guests with all-natural soap, made from cactus, right in the resort’s laundry room.
Compost is made on site from the uneaten and unused vegetables and organic matter that is left over from the kitchen. The compost is then used as fertilizer in the resort’s gardens. The use of compost removes chemical fertilizers from the resort, providing the vegetation with all natural fertilizers.
- Turtle Protection and Release Program
Each year between the months of May and August, Secrets Marquis Los Cabos is dedicated to protecting the turtles that nest their eggs on the resort’s beachfront. Once the turtles hatch, resort guests are invited to participate in the turtle release. At this time, staff and guests protect and guide the newly-hatched turtles back to their natural ocean habitat.
When you choose Secrets Marquis for your next vacation, you can rest assured that you’re making a socially and environmentally responsible decision. Learn more about sustainability here and book your stay with Secrets Marquis Los Cabos!
Secrets St. James Montego Bay is proud to be featured on SustainableTrips.org! We believe you don’t have to sacrifice commitment to the environment to provide an incredible vacation experience. Secrets St. James is surrounded by so much Jamaican natural beauty that is worth protecting for future generations. We strive to minimize our impact on the environment through good engineering practices and operating procedures. We also participate in local environmental activities such as beautification projects, recycling, beach clean-ups and habitat protection. Here are a few other sustainability initiatives we’re proud of at Secrets St. James.
- A guest room energy conservation management system that utilizes a motion detector system to reduce air conditioning and lighting energy usage when guest rooms are unoccupied.
- Through our recycling program, we have reduced the amount of plastic, cardboard boxes, and used toner inks that are sent to our landfills.
- In September 2013, we participated in and sponsored an international beach clean up.
- Composting projects are carried out by our landscaping department.
- In our grey water treatment system, water is recycled from guest’s showers and utilized for irrigation on the property.
- Housekeeping’s guest room conservation card provides guests with the option to reduce the amount of linens used during their stay, reducing the water and chemicals used for laundry services.
- Fruit and vegetable peelings from our kitchens are donated to local pig farmers.
- The hotel continues to embark on community sustainability projects to aid in the development of our society through charitable donations – cash or kind and time to schools, churches and other organizations in need.
- In June 2013, the Catherine Hall Basic School beautification project included the creation of a vegetable garden and picnic tables, enhancement of the school grounds, and donations to children by our employees and guests.
- We made donations to the Garland Children’s Home school in May 2013.
- The Labour Day Project 2012 was a volunteer project in partnership with our local government to beautify the local Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay.
Ariel view of Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Click here to see our whole feature on SustainabilityTrips.org and book your stay with Secrets St. James today!